Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Director of Portfolio Engagement, Venture Lab
at ACCIONA Canada
- Job ID
- Washington, DC
About Venture Lab:
Venture Lab is an impact investing initiative that invests in and supports seed-stage fintech startups, catalyzing innovation in financial inclusion and enhancing the way financial services are delivered to the poor. Venture Lab focuses on companies that are post-R&D but have not yet proved their concept or achieved meaningful revenue traction, filling the support void for seed-stage companies. Venture Lab focuses on investment opportunities in the US, Latin America, Africa, and South/Southeast Asia but is globally opportunistic, leveraging Accion’s global footprint and 50-year experience investing in and building financial services business in emerging markets.
Since launching in 2012, Venture Lab has invested across 40 startups that work in over 30 countries worldwide. For more information, please refer to our website.
Venture Lab provides capital as well as strategic and operational support to its investees. We are seeking a Director to lead the Portfolio Engagement function, which is focused on accelerating the growth trajectory of our portfolio by improving financial performance and amplifying social impact for our companies.
The role is highly entrepreneurial, spanning emerging market venture investing, consulting, operations, and entrepreneurship, with a focus on cutting edge innovation in financial inclusion. Successful candidates will have the opportunity to provide post-investment support across the portfolio, furthering the growth and success of our investees and building the financial inclusion ecosystem.
The Director of Portfolio Engagement will help drive Venture Lab’s Portfolio Engagement approach and strategy and will provide in-depth strategic and operational support to investee enterprises across Venture Lab’s global portfolio. This will include:
- Engaging with portfolio companies to identify challenges and barriers to growth faced by the businesses.
- Developing and scoping projects to address the areas of need including defining timing, level of effort, and structure of projects.Spending time in-market (and remotely) working with the companies to execute on the projects.
- Impact assessment of portfolio projects.
- The candidate will be responsible for engaging directly with C-level leadership at portfolio companies, driving projects, and building relationships. S/he will also build relationships with line and functional managers at portfolio companies as necessary to ensure that projects are successful and carried forward.
- The candidate will support the Venture Lab team as needed on investment activities, working to integrate knowledge learned from portfolio work into the investment function.
- S/he will also proactively develop knowledge resources and thought leadership for Venture Lab in areas related to portfolio company support.
- The role will require up to 40% travel.
- Minimum of 10 years of work experience including experience in consulting and operational or entrepreneurial experience in building businesses.
- Bachelors degree required; MBA preferred.
- Strong research and analysis skills, including financial analytics.
- Strong entrepreneurial spirit and a passion for entrepreneurship and market-based solutions to poverty.
- Outstanding relationship management skills and ability to earn respect of colleagues, investors and enterprises.
- Experience and network within impact investing and/or financial inclusion a plus.
- Exceptional written, communication and presentation skills, and comfortable moving seamlessly between boardroom and field.
- Domain expertise in financial services and/or financial inclusion, particularly financial technology, credit, payment systems, and/or innovative delivery models strongly preferred
- Experience working in or with startups or growth-stage enterprises in emerging markets strongly preferred
- Excellent at multi-tasking with a positive, can-do attitude.
- Interest in our mission and in working globally.
- Alignment with and embodiment of our team values:
- The Venture Lab team’s values define not just how we work with each other, but also how we work with our portfolio companies and with ourselves. We are curious seekers of new ideas, constantly trying to improve our work and gain insight to new ways of thinking. We strive for excellence, producing top-quality output and serving as a model for the industry. We are informed risk-takers, existing to go places where others don’t and not being afraid to make our perspectives known. We are human-driven, acting with respect, integrity and humility. We are supportive and collaborative, energized by working as a team and working to support the broader ecosystem.
- Venture Lab is a place for hard work – and for fun. We recognize the importance of what we do; we’re tackling some of the world’s biggest challenges, questioning the status quo, and addressing critical gaps. As pioneering seed stage fintech for inclusion investors, we have the ability to be catalytic – and we don’t take this lightly. We focus on team learning and reflection through deep dives and quarterly retreats, and our entrepreneurial environment builds autonomy and ownership, so that we’re empowered to make decisions and shape a nascent industry. At the same time, we ensure that we’re still laughing while doing it; whether at team happy hours, lunch and learns, or game nights, we energize each other both inside and outside of the office.
Accion is a global nonprofit committed to creating a financially inclusive world, with a pioneering legacy in microfinance and fintech impact investing. We catalyze financial service providers to deliver high-quality, affordable solutions at scale for the three billion people who are left out of – or poorly served by – the financial sector. For more than 50 years, Accion has helped tens of millions of people through its work with more than 110 partners in 50 countries. More at http://www.accion.org.