Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Director, Federal Affairs
at Alzheimer's Association
The Director of Federal Affairs is responsible for: (1) managing federal government relations efforts; (2) monitoring developments in the federal affairs environment; (3) ensuring a solid policy foundation for federal affairs efforts; (4) representing the Association in relevant federal affairs coalitions; and, (5) maintaining compliance with relevant legal obligations. Through an employee sharing agreement this position is also responsible for political aspects of a 501c4 affiliate entity in accordance with its organizational objectives.
This position is based at the Association’s office Washington, D.C. and reports directly to the Vice President, Federal Affairs for the Alzheimer’s Association.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Manages federal government relations efforts by working with the Senior Director to:
- Engage in strategic brainstorming and long-term planning (in consultation with the Senior Director of Federal Affairs) on long-term projects and activities that could be undertaken by the Federal Affairs department.
- Develop and execute federal campaigns to advance the Division’s federal policy priorities;
- Work with members of Congress and their staffs on the Association’s federal policy priorities;
- Coordinate with various departments within the Public Policy Division, including the Department of Advocacy, to initiate grassroots actions by chapter staff and volunteers in support of federal affairs objectives, and providing feedback to the Department of Advocacy on the effectiveness of such actions; and,
- Prepare materials to equip both chapter staff and volunteers to advocate effectively in support of federal affairs objectives.
- Monitors developments in the federal affairs environment:
- Discovering, analyzing and reporting federal government related developments that could materially impact efforts by the Alzheimer’s Association and/or its affiliated chapters to accomplish shared strategic objectives.
- Prepares the foundation for effective federal affairs by:
- Advising the Senior Director on federal legislation that should be created or modified;
- Ensuring that there is at all times a clear, shared understanding of federal policy priorities within the Division, and that these priorities are clearly and consistently communicated to stakeholders outside the Division; and,
- Managing the development of federal proposals and initiatives to advance priority federal policy positions.
- Representing the Association in relevant federal affairs coalitions.
- Maintaining compliance with legal obligations assumed in the execution of the above responsibilities.
- In the work for the 501c4 affiliate entity, Alzheimer’s Impact Movement (AIM), this position bears responsibility for the following activities:
- Political activity, including working with the Senior Director in the developing the strategic direction of IM’s connected PAC;
- Working on the planning and coordination of events for AIM-PAC;
- Attend congressional and political functions as AIM representative;
- Compliance with all applicable Federal laws and regulations;
- Interaction with all other Association employees working for AIM on a contract basis;
- Informing AIM’s Senior Political Director of all significant developments on a timely basis.
- Bachelor’s degree in political science, public policy, or a related field
- Minimum 8-10 years’ progressive professional experience in political, legislative, and regulatory environment at the federal level
- Deep expertise in lobbying at the federal level
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; a persuasive communicator with experience and comfort with public speaking
- Strong interpersonal and negotiation skills; ability to interact tactfully and diplomatically to build collaborative relationships
- Ability and willingness to work evenings and weekend as needed for the job
- Ability and willingness to travel by air and ground transport up to 10%, with occasional overnights