Children's National Medical Center
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Registered Nurse II PRN - Psych Child & Adolescent Unit
at Children's National Medical Center
TOP 5 CHILDREN'S HOSPITAL IN THE NATION. #1 INNEONATOLOGY...AGAIN! U.S. News & World Report's 2018-19 Best Children'sHospitals Honor Roll. Children's National is a Magnet® designatedhospital and the leading provider of pediatric care in the Washington, DC,area. Our team of 6,000 employees provides world-class care in a warm andcaring environment designed with kids in mind.
We're more than just a hospital; we're a health system for kids.From our main hospital to our outpatient centers and primary care facilities,we are dedicated to serving children's health needs in any illness or injury.
We have a great opening and would love to see your application! Weare looking for Experienced Psych Nurses!
The inpatientChild Psychiatric Unit is a 12-bed unit. It is a short-term child orientedprogram designed to provide crisis intervention and stabilization to children3-13 years of age. The average length of stay is three to seven days. Eachpatient receives an initial psychiatric evaluation upon admission. While on theunit treatment may include additional psychological and medical evaluations asneeded.
The AdolescentPsychiatric Unit (APU) is a 14-bed short-term treatment unit that provides anextensive bio-psychosocial and treatment services to the adolescent populationbetween 14-17 years of age. The program is designed to provide a safe andtherapeutic environment to facilitate stabilization, evaluation, treatment, andfollow up care of the hospitalized adolescent. Milieu Management is utilized toeffect a positive change in the patient's behavior by providing a supportiveand nurturing environment that encourages and reinforces constructiveinteractions with others.
All nursing practice is based on the legal scope of practice, national and specialty nursing standards, Children's National Policies and Procedures, and
accountable for their own practice. Children's National supports the development of RN relationships within the community; specifically those
relationships associated with the health and well being of the community at large.
Specific Requirements and Preferences
Graduated from an approved school of nursing. (Preferred)
Minimum Work Experience
Specific Requirements and Preferences
RN experience (Required)
The licensed Registered Nurse will successfully complete the hospital and nursing orientation at Children's National.
Keep knowledge base current with new information or changes in specialty area.
Required Licenses and Certifications
Registered Nurse in District of Columbia Registered Nurse licensed in the District of Columbia, Maryland or Virginia dependent upon location of practice. Req
1. Contribute to Magnet re-designation as evidenced by independent updating of professional profile and initiation of council involvement, committees, task forces and /or community outreach.
2. Demonstrate critical thinking skills by problem solving appropriately during patient care.
3. Communicate to reflect development of plan of care and ability to advocate to meet patients' needs.
4. Independently initiate escalation of issues utilizing chain of command.
5. Demonstrate proper use of the currently identified hand off processes.
6. Demonstrate a collegial and respectful relationship with ancillary staff.
7. Participate in implementing change and support management decisions.
8. Role model behavior that reflects empathy, concern and a desire to help others.
1. Independently maintain regulatory requirements e.g. license, BLS.
2. Plan for attendance at mandatory education and professional activities to enhance nursing practice.
3. Demonstrate professional review of peers through timely participation in evaluations.
4. Seek out opportunities to participate in enhancing departmental goals by ensuring adherence to national safety standards and service excellence standards; support advancement of education and certification as well.
5. Collaborate with members of the healthcare team and role model professional behavior and teamwork with coworkers.
6. Utilize resources as needed and know when to escalate to next level.
Exemplary Professional Practice
1. Utilize assessment data gathered from patient and family to ensure completion of data base and plan of care within identified timeframes.
2. Demonstrate clinical skills with complex patients that reflect analysis of patient status and appropriate interventions.
3. Role model skill in prioritization and organization for complex patient with rapidly changing needs.
4. Documentation exemplifies adherence to the highest standards of practice.
5. Anticipate and proactively plan for educational needs verified with patient and family throughout the hospital/outpatient stay and prior to discharge.
6. Role model organizational skills, adjust for changes and is able to complete assignment on time.
7. Demonstrate caring in all encounters with patient and family as evidenced by feedback from parents and an increase in patient satisfaction scores.
1. Speak up when team members appear to exhibit unsafe behavior or performance
2. Continuously validate and verify information needed for decision making or documentation
3. Stop in the face of uncertainty and takes time to resolve the situation
4. Demonstrate accurate, clear and timely verbal and written communication
5. Actively promote safety for patients, families, visitors and co-workers
6. Attend carefully to important details - practicing Stop, Think, Act and Review in order to self-check behavior and performance
New Knowledge, Innovations, and Improvements
1. Identify ways to improve operations through quality improvement and assist in implementation of solutions.
2. Identify self learning needs and take initiative to meet those needs.
3. Ensure care is based on evidence with the literature and benchmarking
1. Partner in the mission and upholds the core principles of the organization
2. Committed to diversity and recognizes value of cultural ethnic differences
3. Demonstrate personal and professional integrity
4. Maintain confidentiality at all times
1. Anticipate and responds to customer needs; follows up until needs are met
1. Demonstrate collaborative and respectful behavior
2. Partner with all team members to achieve goals
3. Receptive to others' ideas and opinions
1. Contribute to a positive work environment
2. Demonstrate flexibility and willingness to change
3. Identify opportunities to improve clinical and administrative processes
4. Make appropriate decisions, using sound judgment
Cost Management/Financial Responsibility
1. Use resources efficiently
2. Search for less costly ways of doing things