Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Associate Director, Strategic Communications, Technology and Privacy
at Consumer Reports
Are you concerned that tech companies have too much power to shape people’s lives? That the most powerful business models today are based on extracting people's data without their understanding, consent or control? And that companies are not keeping pace with the emerging harms posed by their products and services? If you think we all deserve better and want to put your skills to work for the good guys, then we want you to help build our new Digital Lab.
For over 80 years, people have trusted Consumer Reports to advocate for their interests and help them make informed choices. Today, we're inviting you on new mission: to make sure there are rules for fair conduct in the digital marketplace, and that they’re set in consumers’ favor. To make sure people can live their lives without being forced to sacrifice their privacy. And to make sure people can trust that their devices and data are secure.
We're looking for technologists, activists, lawyers, economists and entrepreneurs who share our drive to build consumer power in the 21st century. With your help, we’ll lead a new movement to restore choice and control to our digital lives. Learn more at http://lab.cr.org.
The Associate Director, Strategic Communications will be responsible for leading CR’s communications programs across technology and privacy, including the Digital Lab initiative. Partnering across CR’s divisions to drive marketplace change, the incumbent will define and execute long-term communications strategies, collaborate on devising thought leadership and mobilization-driven campaigns, and drive the day-to-day communications work.
- Identifies and develops key communications strategies, campaigns, and day-to-day efforts around priority issues, while monitoring breaking news, emerging business trends, and other external factors that offer opportunities to proactively insert CR into the daily news cycle.
- Manage the development of overall messaging, supporting communications and thought leadership materials (e.g., talking points, presentations, speeches, op-eds, social content, etc.), and provide communications counsel on related CR efforts, such as editorial, policy reports and white papers.
- Operates collaboratively across a highly matrixed organization, including with Testing, Content, and Advocacy, as well as coordinating with communications colleagues across media relations and thought leadership programs.
- Helps manage efficient decision-making for stakeholders to have an opportunity to provide input into strategic communications, but at the same time, ensure that we do not miss real-time opportunities.
- Partners with Communications colleagues to drive strategy execution, alignment, direction and support of media relations and thought leadership initiatives, and provide strategic counsel on content-oriented media promotion and reaction to published content.
- Works with Advocacy on the assessment of and concepting of priority issues, messaging, campaigns and tactics to advance CR’s efforts, and organize media training for key spokespeople.
- Works with Marketing and Development to help concept and ensure consistent messaging and coordination of outbound communications that highlight and advance priority issues, as well as ensure that our communications for issues are aligned with CR practices and goals.
This position requires a minimum of 7 years of experience providing strategic communications leadership in a mission and/or content driven organization. The Associate Director role requires strategic thinking and project management skills; world-class understanding of multi-disciplinary communications tactics; the ability to consider and synthesize many points of view; marketplace awareness across commercial, policy and non-profit audiences; keen judgement and thoughtful and transparent decision-making; and well-developed organizational, communication and troubleshooting skills.