Creative Associates International
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Associate Elections Technical Advisor
at Creative Associates International
Creative Associates International is a dynamic, fast-growing global development firm that specializes in education, economic growth, governance and post-crisis stabilization. Based in Washington, D.C., Creative has a field presence in more than 25 countries with a strong client portfolio that includes the U.S. Agency for International Development and the State Department, among others. Since its founding in 1977, Creative has earned a solid reputation among its clients and is well-regarded by competitors and partners alike.
Creative’s Bringing Unity, Integrity, and Legitimacy to Democracy (BUILD) is a USAID-funded project designed to support electoral and political processes in Somalia by fostering increased citizen participation; building the capacity of civil society, election management bodies, political parties and other relevant government and non-government bodies to support various elections and their cycles taking place between 2016-2021. Implemented by Creative in partnership with the International Republican Institute and Forcier Consulting, BUILD is a five-year project in its fourth year of implementation.
Creative Associates seeks an Associate Elections Technical Advisor for the BUILD project. The incumbent will be responsible to assist the Election Technical Advisor developing relationships and building the capacity of election management bodies, coordinating with other government and non-government actors in the elections and helping them coordinate elections support with UN and other international partners. The Associate Elections Technical Advisor will have a good grasp of the management of election technical assistance projects including experience with support to electoral processes in similar political and security contexts.
Reporting & Supervision:
The Associate Elections Technical Advisor reports to the Elections Technical Advisor.
- Supports the project in the implementation of BUILD support to the capacity building of the National Independent Election Commission (NIEC) of Somalia, including the Office of the Political Party Registrar;
- Assists in identifying and providing programmatic guidance to short and long-term experts advising NIEC;
- Organizes and facilitates trainings, workshops, conferences, study tours and other capacity building formats for the NIEC;
- Compiles weekly and quarterly report inputs for BUILD Objective 2 form long and short-term consultants and NIEC national advisors;
- Assists in the development of grants for voter (and civic) education;
- Support the development of voter (and civic) education grants for NIEC and manages grantees; and
- Implements other tasks as requested by the Election Technical Advisor.
Required Skills & Qualifications:
- Master’s Degree in political science, such as International Relations (or a related field) and five (5) years of direct experience in administering election technical assistance projects in field positions;
- At least two assignments of 12 months or more in a field-based program positions, focused on supporting election management bodies (EMBs) to deliver elections;
- One of these positions to have been within a fragile and conflict-affected state;
- Experience with voter (and civic) education grants programs and coordinating with EMBs domestic civil society groups;
- Track record of building collaborative relationships in complex development environments;
- Excellent communication and reporting skill
Desired Skills & Qualifications:
- Relevant field experience in East Africa, Somalia, or similar context strongly preferred;
- Familiarity with political processes taking place in Islamic law countries; and
- Familiarity with complex security environments.
Local and regional candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Position contingent upon donor funding.