Creative Associates International
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at Creative Associates International
Creative Associates International is a dynamic, fast-growing global development firm that specializes in education, economic growth, democratic development and post-crisis stabilization. Based in Washington, D.C., Creative has a field presence in more than 25 countries with a strong client portfolio that includes the U.S. Agency for International Development and the State Department, among others. Since its founding in 1977, Creative has earned a solid reputation among its clients and is well-regarded by competitors and partners alike.
For Creative’s programs in Libya, the Finance Assistant is responsible for a full range of cash management duties, handling payroll for casual laborers, vendor payment processing, receipt collection and the reconciliation of financial transactions. The scope of the position includes but is not limited to assisting with entering local transactions in accounting software, running monthly reports, monitoring receivables and payables, and ensuring adequate cash balances. This position will be based in Tripoli, Libya.
Reporting & Supervision:
The Finance Assistant will be based in Tripoli, Libya. S/he will report to the Finance Officer or his/her designee and will work closely with program staff based in Libya and Tunisia.
- Maintain financial management and accounting control systems for program expenditures;
- Ensure that the project meets all donor contractual requirements and complies with donor policies and regulations;
- Receive and account for all funds for the project (performing weekly and monthly cash checks).
- Liaise between Creative Associates' Tunis office and headquarters;
- Participate in ongoing analysis, forecasting and review of project expenses;
- Participate in budget planning and realignments as required with the finance officer;
- Track the transfer of funds between the field offices and manage accounting and finance records of in-country expenses, including developing spreadsheet programs for tracking and monitoring all financial project activities, and maintaining spreadsheets with current project expense data;
- Provide Project Director/HQ updates on the status of fund requests and work with Finance Officer in Tunis to ensure the timely transfer of funds;
- Submit wire transfer requests for field offices to headquarters for processing on as needed basis;
- Process check requests and wire transfer requests for payments to vendors in compliance with contract requirements;
- Review and process invoices and in-field fee payments in accordance with Creative accounting procedures and contract policies;
- Work closely with field-based subcontractors to ensure budgets, projections, and invoices are completed according to Creative/Client policies and procedures;
- Assist Finance Officer to manage personnel and payroll office staff and procedures;
- Maintain project financial and contractual files for Tripoli Office;
- Maintain a database of accounting documents, in both electronic and hard copy;
- Consolidate accounting data into a monthly return to be forwarded to Finance Officer in Tunis in paper and electronic copies (as requested);
- Prepare the requisite financial documents and vouchers to finance officer;
- Help the Finance Officer to draft quarterly and annual financial reports on the financial status of project expenses and budget information and forward to headquarters for review and approval by the Controller;
- Ensure monthly field expense reports are entered and recorded; and
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in finance, accounting, or other related field is required;
- Three (3) years’ experience in clerical accounting, bookkeeping and/or cashiering work;
- Experience with computerized accounting systems is required;
- Strong analytical skills and ability to work effectively with minimal supervision;
- Multi-tasking with positive attitude is required;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective, sustainable relationships with project staff and bank officials, as well as the development community is required;
- Prior experience with international organizations or international-funded projects is highly desirable;
- Fluency in oral and written English and Arabic is required; and
- Work eligibility in Libya required.