Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Supporting the Most Exciting and Meaningful Missions in the World
Macfadden is seeking a Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Intern to support USAID’s Office of Transition Initiatives (USAID/OTI) in Washington, DC, on the Data Analysis Team (DAT). The DAT utilizes innovative visualization tools providing analysis of political transitions and other complex crises. The GIS Intern will work with the team to provide cartographic, geographic, and analytic information services to USAID/OTI’s programs and their interagency counterparts, a critical component of USAID/OTI’s context-driven programming model. The team’s products and technical assistance will help explain the “what, why, and where” behind USAID/OTI’s work and inform strategic and program decision-making. The DAT is an integral part of the Applied Best Practices and Coordination (ABC) team within the Program, Learning and Innovation (PLI) division of OTI.
OTI was created in 1994 as a distinct operating unit within USAID to help local partners advance peace and democracy in priority conflict-prone countries. Seizing critical windows of opportunity, OTI works on the ground to provide fast, flexible, short-term assistance targeted at key transition needs. Countries experiencing a significant political transition in the midst of a disaster or emerging from civil conflict have unique needs that cannot be fully addressed by traditional disaster relief. Timely and effective assistance to promote and consolidate peaceful, democratic advances can make the difference between a successful or failed transition. OTI assists in securing peace by aiding indigenous, mostly non-governmental, civil society and media organizations, using such mechanisms as support for re-integration of ex-combatants into civilian society; development of initiatives to promote national reconciliation; identification of quick-impact community self-help projects to meet urgent economic needs; and aid to independent media outlets and community-based organizations to help promote informed debate and broaden public participation. For more information about OTI please see this website.
Macfadden is looking for a Geographic Information Intern to support the Data Analysis Team for USAID’s Office of Transition Initiatives (OTI). The individual will provide support to program management, analysis, planning and advocacy as a member of the Data Analysis Team. Duties include:
- Assist in data collection, cleaning and organization;
- Assist in map production using ESRI ArcGIS and other GIS tools;
- Attend internal and external meetings;
- Propose innovative ideas for the application of GIS to enhance OTI programming; and
- Other duties as assigned.
Interns will be paid $15.04 per hour
Education, Experience and Skills
Education/Experience: All candidates must possess a Bachelor’s degree or be currently enrolled and in good standing in an accredited Bachelor’s degree program and have at least one year of work experience
Skills and Abilities:
- Experience in GIS (Geographic Information Systems), cartographic design and standard office applications (Microsoft Office 2010).
- Familiarity with ESRI ArcGIS software or Quantum GIS (QGIS) required.
- Knowledge of geospatial data from a wide array of sources.
- Experience with data management best practices and data cleaning
- Must have strong verbal and written communication skills as well as the ability to complete tasks independently and work within a larger team environment.
- Position requires the ability to work in high pressure situations under short deadlines.
- Experience with Adobe Creative Cloud (Acrobat, Illustrator, Photoshop) is a plus.
- International experience or foreign language skills are a plus.
- Experience with scripting languages such as python or statistical programming languages such as R is a plus
1. Include a cover letter in uploaded documents. The following should be included in the cover letter:
- brief overview of the area of interest;
- brief overview of qualifications/experience related to the internship position the applicant is applying for;
- specify the dates and time period the applicant is available to work;
- list two references with contact information (email/telephone).
2. Resume/CV with any work experience and relevant coursework included
Applications will be reviewed in April for positions starting in the summer. This is 3-month long position with possible extension up to 6 months, working 35 to 40 hours a week. Applicants must commit to at least 12 continuous weeks of work for full consideration.
U.S. Citizenship is required; selected candidate must be able to qualify for a government sponsored clearance.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk, hear, and use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools, or controls. The employee is occasionally required to reach with hands and arms. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision. The employee must occasionally lift or move up to 25 pounds.
This position description reflects Macfadden’s assignment of essential functions; nothing in this job description restricts the Company’s latitude to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
PAE is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our hiring practices provide equal opportunity for employment without regard to race, religion, color, sex, gender, national origin, age, United States military veteran’s status, ancestry, sexual orientation, marital status, family structure, medical condition including genetic characteristics or information, veteran status, or mental or physical disability so long as the essential functions of the job can be performed with or without reasonable accommodation, or any other protected category under federal, state, or local law.
For more than 60 years, PAE has tackled the world’s toughest challenges to deliver agile and steadfast solutions to the U.S. government and its allies. With more than 20,000 employees on all seven continents and in more than 70 countries, PAE delivers a broad range of operational support services to meet the critical needs of our clients. Our headquarters is in Falls Church, Virginia. Find us online at pae.com.
If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at email@example.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis.