Schnabel Engineering, Inc.
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Geotechnical Project Engineer
at Schnabel Engineering, Inc.
Headquartered in Richmond, Virginia, Schnabel is an employee owned, professional consulting firm that focuses on solving problems related to the earth and environment through specialization in geotechnical, geostructural, dam, and tunnel engineering. Schnabel’s high standards for quality, business ethics, and concern for the communities they live in and support, are a vital part of who they are and what they offer. Founded in 1956, Schnabel has experienced tremendous success and growth through its dedication to excellence in client service, high quality, and value-added solutions. Schnabel is an ENR Top 500 Design Firm and Top 200 Environmental Firm with 330 employees in 19 offices throughout the United States.
Recognized by CE News as one of the Best Engineering Firms to Work for, Schnabel provides employees with a competitive benefits package, including health, dental, life and disability. Engagement in Schnabel’s wellness program offers incentives for employees to pursue a healthy lifestyle, and the firm rewards employees through its Employee Stock Ownership Plan.
Schnabel Engineering is seeking a Geotechnical Project Engineer to support our geotechnical engineering group. Qualified candidates will be well-rounded, organized problem solvers with excellent communication skills and an interest in managing and developing junior engineers. The successful candidate for this position will gain practical knowledge and experience while solving real-world engineering problems under the supervision and mentoring of senior engineering personnel.
- Develop geotechnical engineering scope of services and fee estimates
- Planning and oversight of geotechnical investigations
- Manage geotechnical and construction phase observation and testing field work performed by others
- Assign, review and interpret geotechnical laboratory tests
- Create basic plans and figures using AutoCAD, MicroStation and GIS
- Perform geotechnical engineering analysis and calculations
- Develop geotechnical engineering recommendations and write geotechnical engineering reports
- Perform project management activities including communicating resource needs, planning and delegating work, management of project budgets, invoicing and backlog reporting
- Manage client relationships and business development opportunities
- Manage and mentor junior engineers, commensurate with experience level
- Work as a team member within the geotechnical engineering department and across other Schnabel offices to effectively balance workload among available resources
- Occasionally perform field work such as logging test borings, construction observation and on-site client consultation
- Bachelor's Degree in Civil Engineering from an ABET-accredited program, Master’s Degree preferred
- 3 to 10 years of professional experience in consulting geotechnical engineering
- Professional Engineering license, or ability to obtain within 6 months
- AutoCAD, MicroStation and GIS skills suitable for developing geotechnical deliverables
- Proficiency with gINT software
- Proficiency with standard geotechnical engineering analysis software such as LPILE, APILE and SHAFT, GeoStudio, Settle3D and FoSSA, or similar programs.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Positive attitude
- Ability to multi-task
- Strong work ethic and a desire for continual self-improvement
- Ability to thrive in a collaborative team environment
- Confidence and independence, with a shared sense of responsibility
- Effective time management and interpersonal skills
- Willing to travel periodically with in the United States or abroad
- Demonstrated experience with geotechnical engineering for transportation projects, including design-build
- Managerial/mentoring experience
- Experience with Deltek Vision software
- Experience with Microsoft Teams and SharePoint software
- U.S. Citizenship or Permanent Resident status (no visa sponsorship provided)
- Ability to lift 60 pounds and be physically able to negotiate construction sites, enter trenches, climb ladders and work outside
- Ability to perform field work and travel as needed
- Ability to pass a background check which may include criminal history, motor vehicle record and credit check
- Ability to pass a pre-employment employment drug screening
EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability