Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Job Reference #: 12223874
SILECTIS DATA ENGINEER
About Us: Silectis is a data analytics company that developed and built Magpie, a cloud-based computing infrastructure and hub for analytics. Along with our software platform, the Silectis consulting team delivers the expertise required to find value in big data. Silectis believes applying proper data analytics can change your business.
Position: As a Data Engineer at Silectis, you will work with our consulting team to help craft practical solutions to real-world data problems using our analytics platform. We have a wide variety of clients from multiple disciplines across various industries. You will also collaborate with our platform engineering team to identify opportunities to improve the Magpie platform and create capabilities to meet customer needs.
This is a full-time position at our office in the Shaw neighborhood of Washington, DC.
- You want to solve data management problems at scale with a focus on providing customers with a sound foundation for analytics and the ability to generate insights from their data.
- You should be able to assess available data sources within a client environment, dive in and understand the structure and content of the data, and rapidly begin piecing together the elements needed to deliver value.
- You can take an analytics environment from early prototype into a solid set of core data structures and repeatable ETL (Extract, Transform, and Load) processes.
- You should have a strong understanding of the fundamentals of software design, algorithms, and data structures, complimented by a keen interest in expanding your skills and helping others do the same.
- You should be comfortable with doing a wide variety of work, especially early on as we are building the team. This could include working on a specific customer solution, working on our core platform, or building infrastructure and automation to make the team more efficient.
- You will be one of the early members of the team and you will have the opportunity to help shape the organization.
- BA/BS degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- 2 to 6 years of experience in a software engineering or data engineering role
- Experience designing and building databases for high-performance analytics and/or developing ETL processes for data integration
- Rock-solid SQL and relational database skills across a range of platforms including PostgreSQL, MySQL, SQL Server and/or NoSQL databases like MongoDB or Cassandra
- Experience working in Linux and the ability to do scripting in a mainstream language like Bash, Python, or Ruby
- Experience in the AWS environment and the ability to do some light admin (e.g., spin up instances, script against the CLI)
Additional skills (preferred but not required):
- Background in Spark or other large-scale data processing frameworks (MapReduce, Flink, etc.)
- Experience with column-oriented analytics databases like Amazon Redshift
- Experience with Scala
- Experience with ETL tools like Talend or Pentaho