Uber Technologies, inc
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Product Design Engineer, Vehicles - JUMP China (Shenzhen)
at Uber Technologies, inc
- Engineering - Engineering
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 600 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let’s move the world forward, together.
About the Role
The Product Design Engineer for Vehicles at JUMP will work closely with an international team and APAC manufacturers to create leading design, engineering, and manufacturing. To build our vehicles at high quality, high volumes, and with an incredible user experience, JUMP leverages cutting-edge technology, advanced manufacturing, and best-in-class design. The Product Design Engineer will be an expert in e-vehicles and how it’s made, enabling our internal teams, supporting business units, and external partners to ship products that meet this high standard. They will take best practices from the world’s largest industries (automotive, consumer electronics, automation, software) and create new ones as necessary to enable JUMP to build transportation products that are safer, more capable, more durable, and faster to deploy than anything that exists now.
Required is a familiarity with all stages of physical product development — ideation, prototyping, sourcing, scope determination, supply chain, engineering, tooling, reliability testing, certification, manufacturing, assembly, deployment, and improvement. Throughout this process, the Product Design Engineer will execute with elite aptitude, supporting a global team in creating products which are operationally reliable, manufacturable, holistically beautiful, and at the bleeding edge of what is possible.
What You'll Do / What You'll Need / Bonus Points / About the Team
What You’ll Do
- A hands-on attitude with the ability to multitask in a fast paced environment while balancing the daily requirements of our global R&D teams and APAC manufacturers
- Be a subject matter expert on all relevant manufacturing processes - extrusion, forging, hydroforming, milling, stamping, die casting, injection molding, coating, plating, bonding, welding, and FATP(manual + robotic)
- Work closely with certification, quality, operations, and supply chain teams to ensure our product is built to withstand years of shared outdoor usage - and that we can ramp to millions of units of production if needed while maintaining superb quality
- Has a wide domain awareness, staying current on advances in development, manufacturing, and transportation
- Travel extensively within the PRC and APAC region to design and engineer with Tier 1 and 2 manufacturers
What You’ll Need
- 5+ years in the mechanical engineering field - strong preference for transportation, consumer electronics, batteries, and industrial products
- Engineering software expert: Solidworks, PDM, PLM, Mechanical simulation packages
- Experienced in implementing/running engineering process: NPIs & staged development schedules (EVT/DVT/PVT/Ramp), ECOs, BOM management, etc
- Expert in OEM manufacturing in the APAC region (PRC preferred)
- Strong writing skills, fluent in English and Mandarin Chinese
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or similar
Bonus Points If
- A proactive and positive approach to problem solving that stimulates collaborative teamwork at a global scale to move quickly while enduring frustrating or unclear circumstances
- High awareness of IP confidentiality and ability to implement safeguards
- Passion for transportation and the E-Mobility industry
About the Team
Uber revolutionized urban transportation, but we have no intention to stop there. New Mobility, also known as “NeMo”, is a new org with the mandate to build and scale the next set of mobility businesses that will help Uber evolve into a multi-modal platform. As a high-growth “startup org” within Uber, NeMo is fast-paced, constantly evolving, and highly rewarding.
The JUMP team belongs to “NeMo”, we’re building the future of urban mobility: shared electric vehicles that are the quickest, most enjoyable, and most empowering way to get around a city. More affordable than most public transit and faster than cars in traffic, JUMP is a game-changer for local transportation. Founded in 2010, JUMP pioneered dockless bike share and has deployed more than 14,000 bikes in 6 countries. This year JUMP is launching the next generation of e-mobility options in San Francisco, Washington DC, Chicago, and other top tier US markets. Our goal is to transform cities, making them more sustainable, equitable, and livable through electric mobility.
To make this vision a reality, we need to grow our team. We place tremendous value on our company's roots and culture: a mix of ingenuity, controlled chaos, hard work, and sense of purpose. This is a great opportunity to join a rapidly growing team that is shaping the future of transportation. While the Uber App no longer operates in China, JUMP is excited to open a new R&D and Supply Chain Centre in Shenzhen, China to support its international growth.